Well preserved medieval manor house surrounded by woods and meadows near Newton Abbot
This virtually unspoilt and medieval manor house dates back as far as the 13th century, although much of the design is 15th century. Bradley has retained a number of original features such as gargoyles and also "medieval cat holes" (although this author could not find any explanation of what these are!).
There are also many examples of original decor such as ceilings featuring fine plasterwork and 15th century fleur-de-lys stencilling. One of the oldest parts of Bradley is the 13th century hall which now serves as a kitchen with a huge fireplace.
Whilst the house was gifted to the National Trust in 1938 by Mrs A. H. Woolner her family still live in a part of the house and manage it on behalf of the Trust.
Attached to Bradley is a small chapel which was consecrated in 1428. This unpretentious little chapel is just over 20ft (6.4m) in length and features a fine east window and original wagon-shaped braced-collar roof. During the Protestant Reformation the chapel was sacked leaving it to be used in later years as a chicken house and a barn. However, today it has been much restored and returned to its former quiet and peaceful
The house is situated in a beautiful estate made up largely of riverside meadows and woods, which as a rare example of natural limestone woodland are designated as a Site of Scientific Interest (SSI). Whilst having an air of seclusion, Bradley is still only 5 minutes walk from Newton Abbot town centre.
Please note, there are no toilets or refreshments at Bradley, with the nearest being in Newton Abbot. Also the house is not as dog friendly as many National Trust properties and dogs only allowed on the meadows and woodland surrounding manor, not in garden or house themselves.