© iStockPhotos All Rights Reserved
The lighthouse at Hartland Point was built by Trinity House in 1874 to guide ships into the Bristol Channel. Set on a large rock at the tip of the point the lighthouse has had to be protected from the erosive forces of the Atlantic ocean over the years. In 1925 a sea wall was built on the beach below to protect the lighthouse.
Up until 1984 the Hartland Point lighthouse was manned by a crew of 4 keepers who lived in attached cottages with their families. These were demolished to make way for a helipad when the lighthouse became unmanned.