You are here


Axminster Parish Church Axminster Parish Church

The small ancient market town of Axminster is situated on the River Axe in the east of Devon. It is famous for its Axminster carpets. These were designed by Thomas Whitty in 1775, in a manner similar to Turkish carpets. Caster Hill House, where the carpets were originally produced, can still be seen. The carpets were of the highest quality, custom made carpets for the country’s stately homes and mansions. The manufacturing process can still be seen today by visitors to the Axminster carpet factory.

Axminster’s origins date back to Celtic times and it is thought to have been first settled around 300 BC. The Saxon church of St Mary stands on Minster Green in the centre of town. It has an interesting Norman door and a Jacobean pulpit.

The town has many interesting and attractive streets radiating out from the town square and the Minster church of St Nicholas. Axminster is still a pleasant, unspoilt Devon market town, surrounded by beautiful countryside and filled with charm and character.