Bideford is an attractive town on the west bank of the River Torridge, where the river begins to widen to form the estuary. The old road has a lovely old bridge crossing the Torridge linking the town of Bideford to its neighbouring village East the Water. This impressive, arched stone bridge was built in 1535. The original bridge was built from timber in 1300, and was replaced by a stone bridge in the 15th century. Various adaptations have been made to the bridge throughout the intervening years.Westward Ho! in this area of North Devon. The town of Westward Ho! takes its name from the novel – the only town in Britain known to have been named after a book rather than the other way round and also the only town in Britain with an exclaimation mark in it!
Kingsley described Bideford as a town of white houses. Many of these are now pastel coloured but the town still has some pleasant narrow streets and attractive small shops.
The tree-lines quay still bustles with fishing vessels, cargo and pleasure boats, and there are regular boat trip to Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel, about 12 miles away.Appledore, Instow and Clovelly. The town is also close to the start of the Tarka Trail and not far fro the lovely Exmoor National Park.